Mirror Above The Bed – Good or Bad Feng Shui?

A reader asks:

“There is a huge round mirror above my bed’s headboard. It reflects light from the window that is on the wall directly across the room. Does this mirror create Bad Feng Shui?”

round-bedroom-mirror

Mirrors are often called the “aspirin of Feng Shui” because they’re used in so many Feng Shui adjustments, but one place mirrors don’t belong is the bedroom.

Here’s how a mirror creates bad Feng Shui in your bedroom:

• The hard, reflective energy of a bedroom mirror catches every bit of light and magnifies every sound, interfering with your ability to get a good night’s sleep.
  • A mirror disturbs and stirs up the atmosphere in the room.
  • Mirrors reduce the feeling of sanctuary you need in your bedroom to care for your health (and your love life!).

In particular, a mirror directly above your bed creates a “window-like” effect.

In Feng Shui we avoid placing the head of a bed beneath a window — even a symbolic one — because we don’t want your Chi energy to escape as you sleep.

To have the best Feng Shui in your bedroom, move mirrors out of the room and into other spaces in your home — your hallway, living room or dining room, for instance.

If you can’t move the mirrors out of the room, find a way to cover them while you sleep.

Now — soak up the feeling of relaxation and calm you instantly feel, just as soon as the mirrors are gone.

(Photo credit: Richard on Flickr)

12 Responses to Mirror Above The Bed – Good or Bad Feng Shui?

1. Ms. Orga9iz says:

Thank you so much Ann for the explanation about why my lovely mirror above the bed isn’t such a great idea. I plan to replace it with a black and white photo that I love.

2. pm says:

Hey Ann, I have mirrors on the closets in my bedroom.Can’t move them for sure .So is there a way to remove their negative effect.

• Ann says:

Hi there — I’ll make this my blog question of the week tomorrow (Wednesday) — look out for it and let me know if it answers your question (or doesn’t!). Ann

3. Cris says:

We have a double closet with mirrored doors .Since it’s bad to have mirrors in the bedroom I’d like to change the doors. What kinds of doors would be better?

• Ann says:

Hi Cris, Thanks for this great question.

Replacing your mirrored closet doors is a very good idea; you will notice a wonderful new relaxed feeling immediately when they’re gone. Any other kind of door will do as long as it blends with the rest of your bedroom decor. I also like replacing doors with curtains to bring an additional element of softness into the bedroom.

Another thought is to hang a curtain over the mirrored doors that you can pull closed at night to cover the mirrors, at least in the short run.

4. RachelTaylorMassage says:

my wife and i LOVE mirrors and we have,…..at least 4 in our bedroom. AND two of them reflect us while we are in bed and we LOVE IT!  I understand why you shouldn’t have TVs, Electronics, office stuff, kids toys etc,  BUT Mirrors? To me mirrors are portals into another dimension. If they are reflecting something you love you get to love it more ( like if it is reflecting a Jade plant in your wealth corner, it would double your money) So when we wake up, are being “romantic” or our favorite flowers are being reflected in them ( and they are NOT reflecting any clutter) we get a lot of JOY and good energy from them. Can you send me a link to more ancient information about mirrors?

• Anonymous says:

Hello and thanks for your comment and questions. I congratulate you on your and your wife’s happiness :)

In Feng Shui we have an old saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” In the case of mirrors in the bedroom, there is no need at all to remove them if you are experiencing joy, good health, a good night’s sleep and all the other things that a bedroom is about. If any of these are a problem, though, the removal of mirrors has been found to help, over and over again.

5. Pemala says:

I have a mirror in my room facing my bed and I’d like to cover it at night, I’m wondering if it will matter what sort of materials I use, thanks

• AnnFengShui says:

Hello Pemala, The only requirement for a suitable material is that it maintain the appropriate Yin/Yang and 5-Elements balance in your bedroom, which depends on your intentions for the room — for example, whether your main concern is to attract romance or get a better night’s sleep. Keep this in mind as you select a material.

6. pretty says:

can i put a dresser at the opposite end of the bed, or opposite bed but on other side that does not reflect teh bed

• AnnFengShui says:

If the dresser has a mirror on it I would suggest removing the mirror no matter where you place the dresser in your bedroom. The dresser itself will not be a problem from a Feng Shui perspective.