Mirror Above The Bed – Good or Bad Feng Shui?

A reader asks:

“There is a huge round mirror above my bed’s headboard. It reflects light from the window that is on the wall directly across the room. Does this mirror create Bad Feng Shui?”

round-bedroom-mirror

Mirrors are often called the “aspirin of Feng Shui” because they’re used in so many Feng Shui adjustments, but one place mirrors don’t belong is the bedroom.

Here’s how a mirror creates bad Feng Shui in your bedroom:

• The hard, reflective energy of a bedroom mirror catches every bit of light and magnifies every sound, interfering with your ability to get a good night’s sleep.
  • A mirror disturbs and stirs up the atmosphere in the room.
  • Mirrors reduce the feeling of sanctuary you need in your bedroom to care for your health (and your love life!).

In particular, a mirror directly above your bed creates a “window-like” effect.

In Feng Shui we avoid placing the head of a bed beneath a window — even a symbolic one — because we don’t want your Chi energy to escape as you sleep.

To have the best Feng Shui in your bedroom, move mirrors out of the room and into other spaces in your home — your hallway, living room or dining room, for instance.

If you can’t move the mirrors out of the room, find a way to cover them while you sleep.

Now — soak up the feeling of relaxation and calm you instantly feel, just as soon as the mirrors are gone.

(Photo credit: Richard on Flickr)

21 Responses to Mirror Above The Bed – Good or Bad Feng Shui?

1. Ms. Orga9iz says:

Thank you so much Ann for the explanation about why my lovely mirror above the bed isn’t such a great idea. I plan to replace it with a black and white photo that I love.

2. pm says:

Hey Ann, I have mirrors on the closets in my bedroom.Can’t move them for sure .So is there a way to remove their negative effect.

• Ann says:

Hi there — I’ll make this my blog question of the week tomorrow (Wednesday) — look out for it and let me know if it answers your question (or doesn’t!). Ann

3. Cris says:

We have a double closet with mirrored doors .Since it’s bad to have mirrors in the bedroom I’d like to change the doors. What kinds of doors would be better?

• Ann says:

Hi Cris, Thanks for this great question.

Replacing your mirrored closet doors is a very good idea; you will notice a wonderful new relaxed feeling immediately when they’re gone. Any other kind of door will do as long as it blends with the rest of your bedroom decor. I also like replacing doors with curtains to bring an additional element of softness into the bedroom.

Another thought is to hang a curtain over the mirrored doors that you can pull closed at night to cover the mirrors, at least in the short run.

4. RachelTaylorMassage says:

my wife and i LOVE mirrors and we have,…..at least 4 in our bedroom. AND two of them reflect us while we are in bed and we LOVE IT!  I understand why you shouldn’t have TVs, Electronics, office stuff, kids toys etc,  BUT Mirrors? To me mirrors are portals into another dimension. If they are reflecting something you love you get to love it more ( like if it is reflecting a Jade plant in your wealth corner, it would double your money) So when we wake up, are being “romantic” or our favorite flowers are being reflected in them ( and they are NOT reflecting any clutter) we get a lot of JOY and good energy from them. Can you send me a link to more ancient information about mirrors?

• Anonymous says:

Hello and thanks for your comment and questions. I congratulate you on your and your wife’s happiness :)

In Feng Shui we have an old saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” In the case of mirrors in the bedroom, there is no need at all to remove them if you are experiencing joy, good health, a good night’s sleep and all the other things that a bedroom is about. If any of these are a problem, though, the removal of mirrors has been found to help, over and over again.

5. Pemala says:

I have a mirror in my room facing my bed and I’d like to cover it at night, I’m wondering if it will matter what sort of materials I use, thanks

• AnnFengShui says:

Hello Pemala, The only requirement for a suitable material is that it maintain the appropriate Yin/Yang and 5-Elements balance in your bedroom, which depends on your intentions for the room — for example, whether your main concern is to attract romance or get a better night’s sleep. Keep this in mind as you select a material.

6. pretty says:

can i put a dresser at the opposite end of the bed, or opposite bed but on other side that does not reflect teh bed

• AnnFengShui says:

If the dresser has a mirror on it I would suggest removing the mirror no matter where you place the dresser in your bedroom. The dresser itself will not be a problem from a Feng Shui perspective.

7. Darren says:

Hi Ann thanks for the tips Im learning a lot!
    In my bedroom Im not able to put my bed in power position, because of built in wardrobes, so i have no view of the door, which could cause me to miss out on opportunities. could i use a mirror to view the door, as long as i cannot see my reflection? and if mirror is reflecting the entrance as you enter is this bad for energy ? thanks hope to hear back
    Kind Regards
    Darren

• Ann says:

Hi Darren,
      Yes, I would try a small mirror and see how it feels, as long as it doesn’t reflect you in your bed. Notice whether this makes a difference in your sleep habits. If your sleep is disturbed, remove the mirror and hang something else that allows you to notice movement around the doorway, but that is not a highly-reflective mirror. Thanks for the good question!

8. tina says:

hi ann,
    hope your doing good, i am so stress now where to put my mirror we have a drawer with a mirror on it and we have it inside our room facing our bed i can move the mirror but idk where im going to put it, and is it bad to have your bed below the window??we have small room with two windows so idk as well where to place our bed, please help me ann. thanks a lot

• Ann says:

Yes, Tina, removing the mirror will reduce your stress right away. If your bed must be under the window, make sure you have a good headboard and curtains or shades on the window that you can close at night. This will help you to retain and gather positive Chi energy throughout the night.

9. Vraj says:

Hi Ann
    my master bedroom is in the south west corner of the house. It has got two windows one is on South wall another is in West wall. I have a wardrobe which has a mirror which reflects either side of the window if kept in any directions.

Pls suggest sleeping direction
    pls suggest wardrobe position since it got mirror

Current position of the wardrobe is one East wall facing West which has a window which reflects the water tank of the neighbouring house. We sleep next to wardrobe with head in South.

• Ann says:

Hello Vraj,
      I would suggest moving the wardrobe so that it reflects the most peaceful view, and that you should cover the mirror at night when you sleep. These two adjustments will create better Feng Shui right away.

10. Vraj says:

Thanks for your reply..There are two windows one on South n West walls..We sleep with head in the south. There is a window just above our head position. Can we keep the window open during sleep as u had referred to chi energy in one of your posts

11. Vraj says:

Dear Ann
    I shall cover the mirror during the night for sure. Otherwise is the wardrobe position itself is wrong and that is why am I asked to move the wardrobe ?
    Wardrobe position currently on east wall facing West and only other option would be keeping it straight to my bed on North wall facing south. Again there is a window on southern wall.

Thanks
    Vraj

• Ann says:

Vraj, it is hard for me to say for sure without seeing the whole layout. The main thing without knowing more is that the mirror is covered up while you sleep, and that your bed is in the Command Position in your bedroom if at all possible. If you’d like to set up a Skype consultation please let me know.