If you live in a small space you know just how quickly it can turn into a home with less-than-ideal Feng Shui. Packing too much life into a tiny area can easily grow overcrowded, chaotic, and disorganized.
Can an environment that just feels too small ever become your most sacred space?
The answer is “Yes.”
Here are nine tips that will help you honor your small space — or that of someone you know — with “enlightened Feng Shui.”
(As an aside, I feel like something of an authority on this topic, having lived for 14 years in a 250-square-foot apartment. I know these tips work!)
1. Place the most significant piece of furniture – usually the bed – in the Command Position. This critical step will make you feel safe and put you in control of your space.
2. Make sure multi-purpose rooms have clear divisions between sections. Things like area rugs and sheer curtains visually separate your bedroom area from your office area, for example, while retaining the open feel of the space.
3. Create an entryway that’s clear and open, making it easy for positive Chi energy and valuable opportunities to enter no matter how much stuff your home contains!
4. Unify your environment with a consistent color scheme, varying it with shading and texture. Consider ways to employ Feng Shui’s Bagua and Five Elements with color, texture and shape, rather than with physical objects.
5. Minimize the number and variety of keepsakes on view to keep visual noise to a minimum. Consider rotating your mementos, keeping things fresh by displaying just a few extra-special items at a time.
6. Make the most of every inch of storage and especially, “go vertical,” as the saying goes. Measure every nook and cranny to see what kind of storage might work.
In my tiny apartment, for example, I took advantage of a narrow hallway by installing shelves that were just 5” deep. I was astonished at how much stuff those shelves could hold!
7. Enlarge the space with mirrors, bringing in good Feng Shui by reflecting things you enjoy looking at, particularly nature and the outdoors.
8. Keep Chi energy circulating by hanging an energizing crystal from the ceiling or a fixture as near to the center of your space as you can manage.
9. Clear clutter daily, honoring the space by making this part of your routine.
When you take these steps in your small space you create your own private sanctuary: a welcoming environment you’ll be glad to come home to every night.
What are some of your favorite Small Space Tips? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
You May Also Like: