In Feng Shui the kitchen is considered the heart of your home, symbolizing health, wealth and abundance.
A Feng Shui kitchen is one of the three most important areas of your home, so it’s essential to make sure Chi energy is flowing and abundant.
The food you store and prepare there nourishes and sustains you, keeping you healthy and making it possible for you and your family to create wealth and abundance.
Making meals and cleaning up afterward are important ways to show how much you care for yourself and your loved ones.
Here are my Top-Ten Tips for giving your kitchen a Feng Shui makeover to make it the “healthy heart” of your home.
1. Get good Chi energy flowing by making sure everything works. Fix things that are broken. Check that doors swing freely. Replace chipped bowls and sharpen your knives.
In Feng Shui this is a crucial step – things that are well-cared-for signify your intention to take the very best care of yourself, too!
2. Recognize the importance of your stove. Your stove is a powerful Feng Shui symbol of Wealth. This centerpiece of the “Heart of Your Home” must be treated with particular respect. Keep it clean and use all the burners to draw more positive Chi into your life.
3. Clean everything inside & out. This includes drawers and cabinets, appliances, walls and counters. Line shelves with new liner paper, and give the floor a good scrub. Take everything out of the cabinets, leading naturally to step 4,
4. Assess what you really use. Feng Shui asks that you keep only what you use, need, or love. As you remove things from cabinets and drawers, ask yourself when you last used them. If you want to keep an item you seldom use, consider deep storage, or make room for it on a higher shelf.
5. Clear the counters. Many appliances and other seldom-used items can take up permanent residence on counters, preventing you from having the space you need to work comfortably. Remove everything, wipe down the surfaces, and replace only the things you use on a daily basis.
6. Put like with like. As you sort through your cabinets, make your life easier by putting like things together. For example, separate sweet baking spices from savory ones, and store coffee filters near your coffee mugs.
7. Adjust shelves to maximize storage space. As you put things back into the cabinets, separate tall items from shorter ones and adjust your shelf-height accordingly. Utilize “shelf helpers” like tray racks, lazy susans, and stacking shelves . They don’t cost much, and they can change your life. (Don’t forget to measure your cabinets before you shop!)
8. Use mirrors to create more wealth. Since stove burners symbolize wealth, multiply the effect it by placing a mirror behind the stove to reflect the burners. This mirror also reflects activity behind you, placing you in the Command Position as you cook.
9. Balance the elements. Your kitchen already contains four of Feng Shui’s Five Elements: Fire, Water, Metal and Earth. The element that’s usually missing, Wood, can be brought in with a bowl of fruit or a small plant – or even a picture of one of these. When the elements are balanced, a space feels best.
10. Add artwork of abundance and good health! Abundance means different things to different people, so choose something that really lights you up every time you look at it.
Your kitchen should make your life easier while sending a message of health and abundance. It needs to be easy to make meals in, easy to clean and above all, it needs to be appetizing!
What are your favorite Kitchen Feng Shui tips?
(Photo courtesy of John Coley on Creative Commons)