27 responses

1. Caroline Green
    May 28, 2010

Good list. I’ve done a few of these, and there are definitely a few I’ve been meaning to do (especially moving/covering the TV). Another big problem for me is doing work on my Mac laptop while in bed, which also doesn’t put me in a good frame of mind for sleep. Is this the 21st-century version of the TV in the bedroom?

• Ann
      May 29, 2010

Caroline, an article about the impact of computers in bedrooms JUST appeared this week on cnn.com! Let me know what you think! (I’ll post it on the blog next week, too.)

2. ChrisLWagner
    June 2, 2010

I board dogs in my home and they always wake up at the crack of dawn so I know about not getting sleep. I trick that works for me if I have insomnia is: Don’t look at the clock. If I know what time it is, I’ll just stay awake calculating all the hours I haven’t slept.

• Ann
      June 2, 2010

Thanks, Chris — that’s a great tip. Looking at the clock is definitely dangerous 😉 — I cover mine with a cloth as I sleep!

3. Jeannette Paladino
    June 2, 2010

Great tips for someone who can have problems getting to sleep. I’ve used a white noise machine for years to block out external noises, but it also forms a “cocoon” around you. It creates your own space, which is very comforting, even if you’re sleeping in the same bed with a loved one.

• Ann
      June 2, 2010

Thanks so much for the comment, Jeannette. White noise machines are miracle-workers, aren’t they?

4. Julia Lindsey
    June 2, 2010

My husband always loved having the TV on to go to sleep. He always complained about not getting good sleep. I took the TV out of the room (for a trial) and he was amazed at how much better he can sleep.
    I am curious why mirrors disturb sleep.

• Ann
      June 2, 2010

Julia, thanks so much for your comment. That’s great about your husband!

Here’s a blog post about mirrors that might help with your question — but let me know if you have more questions about it!

5. Marion
    June 5, 2010

I really like the tip about making the bed.I know a lot of people who would be embarrassed about admitting they don’t make their bed every day! However if your readers try doing it for 30 days they will be amazed how good a sleep they get and by then it has become a great habit too!

6. Catarina Alexon
    June 6, 2010

Good article. Had forgotten the feng shui of bedroms. No wonder I sleep so well since the Feng Shui masters would approve of my bedroom.

• Ann
      June 6, 2010

Thanks Catarina. It sounds like your bedroom is very supportive and a positive place for you.

Ann

7. CMcKane
    July 20, 2010

Great list. Although I love to read in bed while in school for sleep we learned that bed should be confined to very few activities like sleep and intimacy. Which makes total sense.

I don’t have a TV in my room but I’ll admit I watch movies or listen to music on my PC.

• Ann
      July 23, 2010

Hello & thanks for your comment! I’d just suggest that you keep your PC as far as possible from your body & especially your head, as you sleep. It can make a really big difference.

8. Amy
    July 20, 2010

I am one of those bad sleepers. We have a TV in our room and bookshelves full of books. Both of which distract my husband. Me? I just worry about my to do list. I am going to give the meditation suggestion a try tonight.

9. Maureen
    July 20, 2010

Great article and tips. Will have to give this a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.

• Ann
      July 23, 2010

Thanks for writing, Maureen. I’m so glad you enjoy the tips!

10. EC (Lisa) Stewart
    September 23, 2010

As much as I love my pussycats, I realize they have been a huge disturbance to my rest. We’ve decided to sleep ‘sans-cats’ every other night and it definitely helps give us the recuperative sleep we need!!

• Ann
      September 23, 2010

Thanks for this great comment Lisa. That will be a major point in my next post on this topic!!

11. Jess Webb
    October 7, 2010

AWESOME tips, I love these! :) Definitely going to try some of these and see what difference they make in how well I sleep. I’ve heard of some of them, but had NEVER heard the mirror one – very interesting! :)

• Ann
      October 7, 2010

Hi Jess — I think you’ll find the mirror tip to be super-helpful. I’ve seen it help the sleep of sooo many clients in the past. Thanks for writing!

12. AnnFengShui
    May 17, 2012

Hi Julia — Good to hear from you and congratulations on your good grade!

Yes, I think you are on the right track about why your sleep is disturbed. Once you have cleared out as much as possible you will create good Feng Shui and I expect that you will sleep much better. Please keep me posted.

13. M.L.
    March 13, 2013

Aack, remove the books? My bedroom is in the helpful people and travel section, and I have an all-but-missing knowledge section but for the bathroom. I’ve been putting my books on philosophy, religion and travel in the bedroom next to the bed. No go?

• AnnFengShui
      March 14, 2013

Hi M, if you are having trouble sleeping, I do recommend removing the books to another part of your home, perhaps to the Helpful People/Travel and Knowledge sectors of another room. The calm feeling of a bedroom without books is instantly noticeable. Add travel pics to your bedroom instead, perhaps?

14. Poppy Jones
    December 12, 2014

Thank you, Ann! But from all of this I’m not meditating… Everything else is exactly as you say, but I still have some sleep problems. Will try with the exercises before sleep – it’s more compelling or now.

15. Bethany Thomson
    January 5, 2015

I totally agree that a man sleeps better when there’s no TV in the bedroom. The last tip, about the bed position, is very interesting. I’m going to try it in my place.

• Ann
      January 5, 2015

Awesome, I’m glad you agree Bethany. Let me know what happens when you move your bed :)

16. Lily Earhart
    February 23, 2015

I’ve been working on updating and decorating my bedroom, and this definitely helps! I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to create a restful, peaceful environment for myself.