Real-estate sales offer valuable insights into the way we treat our homes, even when we’re not buying or selling.
For instance, after a person hires a staging professional to get their home set up for sale, they’re likely to say,
“Gee, it’s so nice in here now! Why didn’t we do this earlier?”
Why wait until it’s time to sell? With a few tips and tricks used by real estate stagers, you can give your home fresh Chi energy and make it a more comfortable place to live, right now.
Let me know if I left anything out
1. Create open space. Clear out excess furniture, getting rid of as much as you can. Hallways and doorways often get forgotten and deserve particular attention.
2. Clear clutter. Go through the house and clear off horizontal surfaces like kitchen and bathroom countertops.
3. Follow your nose. A home should always smell good. Have a friend whose judgment you trust give your home the “sniff test.”
4. Take care of details. If your home needs work — dated wallpaper, stained carpet — have it taken care of. “Remember, the potential buyer is as lazy as you are,” says one stager.
5. Make your home feel ageless. There’s a difference between an old house and a classic home. “If a home looks 40 years old with 40-year-old paint, 40-year-old appliances and 40-year-old carpet, that’s a hard sell,” says another staging professional.
6. Let there be light. Make sure every room has good lighting, day and night. Open blinds & curtains, clean your windows, and let the sun shine in! “People buy space and light,” says yet another veteran stager.
7. Clean your closets. Partially empty closets look roomy, and “space sells.”
8. Add touches of vitality with flowers and healthy plants.
9. Identify the focal point in each room — a fireplace, great view, interesting piece of art? — and eliminate distractions.
10. Place the most important piece of furniture in the Command Position to make yourself and visitors feel instantly at home.
Like Feng Shui, real-estate staging is all about creating a space that’s comfortable, uncluttered, and easy to live in. Use its secrets to your advantage.
You May Also Like: