Here’s a great Feng Shui question that gets asked with surprising frequency:
“What if I have a bathroom in the Wealth area of my home?”
Placing important rooms like the master bedroom at the back of the home is excellent Feng Shui (find some of the reasons for that here).
But many designs also place a bathroom in the back left-hand corner of the space, exactly where the Bagua’s Wealth area is located.
Initially this can seem like “bad Feng Shui” because
- The function of a bathroom is to drain away dirt and waste.
- A bathroom contains the most draining energy in your home. The toilet, sink, shower and bathtub are powerful drains that can suck away vital positive energy if you’re not careful.
- It is a Yin room because it’s all about wetness and water, and because it’s often windowless and dark.
(Interestingly, the energy of the Wealth area is also Yin — it anchors feelings of gratitude for the abundance in your life, symbolized by a gentle, gathering wind.)
Even so, you don’t want your Wealth & Abundance to “go down the drain.”
Here are a few ways to create great Feng Shui when you have a bathroom in the Wealth area:
- Counteract draining energy with the uplifting energy of Wood. This might mean the color green, botanical artwork, vertical design elements, or best of all, a healthy plant.
- Anchor your Wealth intention with something that reminds you of the Abundance you have in your life. I recommend a beautiful, costly item: high-end towels, a fabulous piece of artwork, a custom-made vanity.
- Give your bathroom a spa-like feel: clutter-free, spotlessly clean, and filled with self-care products that make you look and feel great.
And don’t forget — keep the toilet lid closed to prevent your healthy, wealthy Chi energy from going down the drain!
(photo from iStock)