Why are spiral staircases considered such a negative in Feng Shui?
Spiral staircases are a Feng Shui no-no because you feel less safe and secure when you live with them.
In fact Feng Shui considers spiral staircases to be dangerous and threatening. This is because
- You can’t see all the way to the bottom (or top) of the stairs so you don’t know what awaits you there.
- If the stairs lack vertical risers, you, your children or your pets may well slip between the stairs and get hurt.
- Spiral staircases symbolize a huge screw, boring down into your home and creating a hole in your life.
If there’s a spiral staircase in your home, the best thing to do is replace it with a conventional one so you and your family feel safe at all times.
Short of this expensive solution, use the Wood element to create the sense of uplift that counteracts the spiraling downward movement of the staircase.
- A large plant directly underneath the staircase is one beautiful way to do this.
- Another would be to use wood as material for the stairs, making sure to differentiate the colors of bottom and top stairs to signal that you’ve reached your goal.
In short, for the best possible Feng Shui, make your spiral staircase feel as safe as possible.