As summer is associated with Fire’s heat, winter with cool Water and spring the sprouting of Wood, the Metal element reflects the closing-down quality of fall.
But what about the wonderful “in-between” season we’re in right now, when Summer is still winding down and the chill of Fall has yet to take hold?
And where does Feng Shui’s Earth element come in?
In fact at this moment we are in one of the four (yes, four!) Earth seasons of the year.
Here’s how it works, and how you can take advantage of this special time.
- The seasonal cycle has turned from the Yang zenith of the year: it’s not quite summer, but not quite fall: it’s the first of the four Earth seasons.
A few months from now as fall turns to the Water element of winter, we see bare Earth when it’s about to freeze and hibernate for the winter.
- Snow is on the horizon but full-bore winter hasn’t arrived yet: it’s the second Earth season.
Likewise as winter winds down towards spring “mud season” arrives, a time that feels particularly in-between, with the melting wetness of winter and the opening up of spring Earth creating a perfect mess in some parts of the world 😉
- It’s neither winter nor spring, exactly: it’s the third Earth season.
And just as spring’s blooming flowers — the Wood element — begin to fade with the approach of summer, plants begin their growth spurt out of the Earth towards their late-summer crescendo.
- This fourth Earth season carries us over from spring into summer.
Unique to Feng Shui, the four seasons of Earth bring us back to an even keel after the highs and lows of each of the other “regular” seasons.
These seasons give you an opportunity to bring your own attention back to Mother Earth every few months.
This fall, take some time to appreciate the beautiful stability and nourishment that Earth brings into your life.
- Take a long walk in your local park, remaining conscious of each step that connects you with the ground underneath your feet.
- Update your plant collection, digging your fingers into the moist Earth as you nestle each one into its revitalized home.
- Or buy yourself a beautiful Earth-themed object that brings this nourishing season to mind: a square ceramic tile for your teapot? Perfect!
For good personal Feng Shui, there’s nothing better than finding a way to get close to the Chi energy of Mother Earth and make sure she’s a part of your life, all year ‘round.
I would love to help you find a way to move forward this Fall with a sense of the great possibilities that the season holds. Please do get in touch to find out how I can help: 646-382-3878.
(Photo credit: Tom Bech on Flickr)