Another great question has come in from one of my readers, who is going for a minimalist look in her new home office:
“What do you think of a glass desk? Is this good or bad office Feng Shui?”
On the surface (so to speak) a glass desk may seem like a great idea.
The serenity of glass seems to evoke everything you might wish for in a workspace: clarity, cleanliness and an enhanced ability to concentrate.
Looks enticing, doesn’t it?
But this soothing image is not an accurate reflection (!) of reality.
Let’s take a look at the office Feng Shui of a glass desk.
- Glass symbolizes the Water element in Feng Shui, which can easily overflow its boundaries into chaos.
- The sharp edges of a glass desk create “poison arrows” that point in every direction, up, down and sideways, and especially at your belly when you sit down to work.
- The ability to see through the desk to the floor distracts your eye away from your work and onto your feet, the wires below, the waste basket….
Here’s a look at the reality of a glass desk.
- Reflections abound, as every item on the desk is doubled in the glass.
- A nearby lamp simply bounces its glare directly into your eyes.
- Everything shows, for better or for worse.
In Feng Shui, your desk symbolizes your ability to create Wealth: financial health for yourself and your family.
Take good care to sit at a desk that fully supports these goals, a desk made of Wood, that makes a solid and grounded place to achieve your goals at work.